Thursday, July 5, 2012

16 May 2012: Chowdhury 1st witness cross exam day 3

Defence counsel, Ahsanul Haque continued the defence’s cross examination of Dr Anissusaman, the first witness giving evidence against Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury (following on from the previous day)
Defence: Do you know the accused Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury personally?

Witness: No. I don’t know him personally, but I know him and the day when I recognized him at the Tribunal, he was present there.

Defence: Did you find his name in any newspaper or media before the liberation war?

Witness: No.

Defence: Do you have information whether Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury met Yahiya Khan when he visited Dhaka for the last time?

Witness: No. I don’t have any information about this.

Defence: Whether the Yahiya Khan has increased the fund and assets of Convention Muslim League after taking the power?

Witness: I don’t know.

Defence: Whether the Committee was formed before the Razakar, Al Badar. Al-Shams groups formed?

Witness: Yes.

Defence: They were not associated with convention Muslim League.

Witness: Generally, the groups who have supported the Pakistan Government were related somehow with each others. They were involved with Peace Committee and the auxiliary forces.

Defence: Your statement is not true.

Witness: My statements are true.

Defence: Mr. Mahmudul Nobi Chowdhury was the chief of the Peace Committee at Chittagong?

Witness: Yes. He was the chief of the then Pakistan Democratic Party and mawlana Nurul Amin Chowdhury was the head of the group. Moulovi Farid Ahmed was the Chief of the then East Pakistan Democratic Party.

Defence: At that time the accused was a man of 20 to 21 years old.

Witness: I don’t know it actually.

Defence: He has studied in Panjab University.

Witness: May be.

Defence: There is no chance of a self standing Army where there is a regular Army, but you have mentioned the accused as a ‘Major’.

Witness: I’ve stated it to the investigation officer – that he was known as a Major in that locality.

Defence: Have you met Professor Syed Ali Ahsan at Kundeshwari?

Witness: He left Chittagong University towards Kundeshwari, afterwards I’ve met again him at Ramgor. Most probably the date was 11th April, 1971.

Defence: He has written a book on the liberation war of Bangladesh. Do you know the name of the book?

Witness: No.

Defence: The Chairman of ATN Bangla has written down a book on liberation war. Do you know?

Witness: No.

Defence: Whether any family members of Mr. Nuton Chandra Singh was a student of Chittagong University.

Witness: His daughter in law, wife of Profullo Chandra Singh was a student of Bangla Department of the Chittagong University. She completed her education afterwards the liberation war of 1971.

Defence: You have sent your family towards Kundeshwari by thinking that as a safe asylum.

Witness: We’ve moved the residential area of Chittagong University in two ways. Some people choose the path of Najirhat and the others took the shelter at Kundeshwari by thinking it was a safe place.

Defence: After two or three days you have left Kundeshwari.

Witness: When we’ve understood that the place is no more a safe place then we’ve planned to leave the place.

Defence: How could you presumed that?

Witness: We were disconnected with the Bengali Military Officers within 31st March, 1971, but from the source of general people we came to know that there is a chance that- Pakistan Army might attack the place anytime.

Defence: Mr. NutonChandra Singh played a vital role in the war of resistance.

Witness: I actually don’t know his contribution. But I know that his sons were maintaining connection with the teachers of Chittagong University and we came to know that they were maintaining connection with the local Awami League Leaders. In this manner they may have taken part in the war of resistance.

Defence: So, the Pakistan Army went there for this reason.

Witness: I don’t know the reason.

Defence: Kundeshwari Complex was a neat and clean place.

Witness: Yes.

Defence: That was only industrial place in Rawjan.

Witness: Yes.

Defence: Was he possessing lot of properties there and was a rich man.

Witness: He was a rich man but I know nothing about his property.

Defence: One his son was living in Kolkata.

Witness: One of his sons, Chittoronjon Singha was living in Kolkata and by profession he was a journalist.

Defence: Did you meet him?

Witness: When I took asylum at India, I met him for the first time. After the liberation war I’ve met him at Chittagong.

Defence: Do you know, Shottoronjon Singha another son of Mr. NutonChandra Singha?

Witness: Yes.

Defence: Do you know their brother in law, Keshto Mohajon?

Witness: Most probably once I’ve met him.

Defence: How could you go to Kundeshwari Girls’ School?

Witness: I went there by driving my Car. My family was at the school hostel.

Defence: How could you met Mr. NotunChandra?

Witness: At, 23rd April, 1971 morning I went to NotunChandra Singha’s place by walking.

Defence: How many brothers and sisters Mr. NutonChandra had?

Witness: I don’t know.

Defence: Did you express your acknowledgements towards the family of NotunChandra after the liberation war?

Witness: Yes I’ve expressed my gratitude towards Profullo Chandra Singha and Shottoronjon Singha in 1972.

Defence: Do you know there is Muslim locality nearby the Kundeshwari palace?

Witness: I don’t know it actually. It may be.

Defence: There was a Buddist (Borua) community nearby.

Witness: Yes.

Defence: Mass atrocities and killings have been happening there in Muslim and Buddist area.

Witness: I heard about it later on, as I was not staying there.

Defence: When you were there at Kundeshwari, have you met Shottoronjon Singha?

Witness: When I reached Kundeshwari at 1st April,1971; I met him.

Defence: Did you meet him at Ramgor?

Witness: No.

Defence: Did you meet him at Kolkata?

Witness: I can’t remember.

Defence: Do they have properties in Kolkata?

Witness: I don’t know. There was a house of Chittoronjon Singha.

Defence: Do you know where the house is situated?

Witness: No.

Defence: In that case you don’t have personal idea about the occurrence.

Witness: Yes.

Defence: Did you discuss with anyone about the killing of Nuton chandra Singha with anyone other than Profullo Chandra Singha?

Witness: No. Actually I didn’t meet anyone at the Refugee camp who was staying there from Kundeshwari.

Defence: When you reached Kundeshwari, whom did you meet from the family members of Mr. Nutonchandra?

Witness: I didn’t meet anyone other than Nutonchandra, Shottoronjon, ProfulloChandra.

Defence: Did you meet Kalyani, who was wife of ProfulloChandra?

Witness: I can’t remember it actually.

Defence: Nuton Chandra had invited the faculties of Chittagong University by the correspondence of Profullo Chandra.

Witness: By going to the University Profullo Chandra let it be known that if needed we could take shelter in their house at Kundeshwari. But I don’t know whether Nuton Chandra has sent him or not.

Defence: Do you know, after the liberation war, Shottoronjon’s daughter was working there at “QC Shipping” farm of Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury.

Witness: No I don’t know it.

Defence: Do you have any idea about a special kind of alcoholic drink titled “Mrito Shonjiboni Shura” made from the Kundeshwari Medicine Centre?

Witness: Yes.

Defence: Now if I say many young faculty member visited the complex just because of that drink, what would you answer?
[At this stage Prosecution team raised their voices because of intimidating such kinds of questions]

Justice Nizamul Huq: I would like to say to the Prosecution not to interfere in the cross examination session. And Mr. Ahsanul Haque, don’t ask such types of humiliating questions towards a respectable person.

Defence: Did you meet Mr. Abdullah Al Harun, when you visited Kundeshwari Complex?

Witness: Yes.

Defence: Do you know he is the elder brother of Abdullah Al Noman, BNP Vice Chairman?

Witness: Yes.

Defence: This Abdullah Al Harun was defeated in the 1979 election against Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury. ABM Mohiuddin was defeated in the 1986 election against the accused from the Chittagong district.

Witness: Yes I know about 1979 but I can’t remember the election incident of 1986 as I had earlier left the district.

Defence: In the election of 1991 this person again defeated.

Witness: Yes.

Defence: This Mr. Harun was made Governor by Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.

Witness: Yes.

Defence: From 1979-till date the accused has been elected as a Parliament member several times, whether it was the election under Caretaker Government/Elected Government/ Ershad.

Witness: Yes.

Defence: The accused holds a foundation named QC foundation, do you know that?

Witness: Yes. It is being established by Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury. There are many schools, colleges, madrasas which have been established by this foundation.

Defence: Whether there is any communal riot in Chittagong since 1947?

Witness: No. But some anxieties arose in 1993.

Defence: There so many Hindus, Christians, Buddhist students reading at the institutions running out from the foundation.

Witness: Yes.

Defence: Now, Fazle Karim Chowdhury is the Parliament member elected from Rawjan, who is the paternal cousin of the accused.

Witness: Yes.

Defence: Once this Fazle Karim Chowdhury was supporter of the accused.

Witness: Yes.

Defence: Now, he is a member of Awami League.

Witness: Yes.

Defence: Mr. Harun is no more in the earth.

Witness: Yes.

Defence: Since 1970 he was the close friend of Profullo Chandra Singha.

Witness: I saw that they were close friends in 1971.

Defence: Now all the cases has been moved against Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury; by Profullo chandra by the direction of Mr. Harun.

Witness: I don’t know.

Defence: Whether the accused was a Minister?

Witness: Yes.

Defence: It is not true that- the accused Salshuddin Quader Chowdhury has same participation as like his father against the liberation war movement.

Witness: I’ve told it and know it as true.

Defence: You have achieved which award from Kolkata?

Witness: This year, I’ve achieved the Rabindranath Tagore Birth Century Award from Asiatic Society

Defence: No Muslims from the west Bengal has ever achieved the award.

Witness: I don’t know.

Defence: How many Muslim teachers were there at the Kundeshwari Girls’ School?

Witness: I don’t know.

Defence: Whether Kathirhat is under the Hathazari Police Station?

Witness: Yes.

Defence: Whether the Chittagong University is under the same police station?

Witness: Yes. I was the provost of AF Rahman Hall at the Chittagong University. A guard of that hall was living in the village Kathirhat. I took his help to take shelter in that village for the time being.

Defence: You didn’t mention it to the police officer that you took shelter at the house of Abdul Awal, Manager of Ramgor Tea Estate..

Witness: I’ve answered the questioned which have been asked.

Defence: Whether you have discussed about the matter of the killing of Nuton Chandra with any prominent people of Kolkata?

Witness: I’ve discussed about the matter with several faculty members of Chittagong University, who have took asylum there. Almost 7 to 8 teachers have reached the refugee camp after me. They included Dr. Anupam Shen, Professor, Sociology Department; Mahbub Talukdar, Professor, Bangla department; Golam Mostofa, Professor, Statistics Department. Right now I can remember these three names. And all of these 3 people are alive.
The court was adjourned for lunch

The defence lawyer Ahsanul-Haq-Hena came to the dais and continued the cross-examination of Professor Anisuzzaman.
Defence: Would you please tell me whether any member of the Convention Muslim league was included in the Peace committee or not?

Witness: It might be, I do not know the name of every person.

Defence: Did you know that Natun Chandra’s funeral ceremony was held 3 days after his death.

Witness: Yes, I have heard it.

Defence: No one of his family member was present then.

Witness: Yes, no one was present as they left the country before his funeral.

Defence: Prafulla took his family in India. On the way back from India you met with him at Ramghar.

Witness: Yes.

Ahsanul-huq-hena: When did Prafulla go to India?

Witness: He went to India before me.

Defence: When he left Kundeshawri?

Witness: He told me, but I forget.

Defence: Where did you meet with him?

Witness: At the corridor of Ramghar Thana.

Defence: Whether there was any other one with you?

Witness: No.

Defence: Did you ask him why he came to Ramghar Thana.

Witness: Actually Ramghar Thana was a meeting place for us. Everyone used to come and discuss on different topic of liberation war.

Defence: Would you please tell us the date when you met with Prafulla?

Witness: Either 20th April or 22th April of 1971.

Defence: Before 20th April no one had told you about the killing of Natun Chandra.

Witness: No, No one told it.

Defence: Would you please tell me whether there is any wireless connection in Ramghar Thana?

Witness: At that time communication system was very much poor. Whether all information was reached at Thana or not it was unknown to me.

Defence: Did you know whether Ramghar Thana was informed about Natun Chandra sing’s death?

Witness: I do not know.

Defence: Did you know many persons had crossed the border by Rangunia, Boalkhali, Raujaan.

Witness: Yes. I know.

Defence: Would you please tell us the time of meeting with Mr. Prafulla?

Witness: At the morning.

Defence: Whether there was any family member with Prafulla babu?

Witness: No, no one was present with him.

Defence: Whether there was any Police constable and Police officer at the station that time?

Witness: Yes, there was.

Defence: Police Super Bazlur Rahman retreated to Ramghar and stayed at Ramghar for a few days.

Witness: Yes.

Defence: Is he alive?

Witness: No, he died.

Defence: Where did his family live at that time?

Witness: At Ramghar.

Defence: You have said that “I have met with Prafulla on 20 or 22th April, 1971 at Ramghar then he told me that his father was killed. When I asked him about his father he further told me that Pakistan Military had come at Kundeshwari, talked with him and at the time of their returning they killed his father by shooting, at the direction of Sallahuddin Quder Chowdhury son of Fazlul Quder Chowdhury” My question is you did not tell it to the Investigation Officer.

Witness: So far I remember, I told it to the Investigation officer.

Defence: You did not justify this incident from any other persons of that region.

Witness: No, I did not do it as there was no scope of doing it.

Defence: Did you tell it to the Mr. Bazlur rahman what you have heard from Prafulla?

Witness: I told it to many persons who were known to me.

Defence: To whom you have told it?

Witness: They are Dr. Mahmud Shah Kuraishi, at present dean of Arts at Gano-University. He was the then head of Math Department of the Chittagong University. Osman jaman, Assistant lecturer of English Department, Chittagong University.

Defence: Have you got any idea that description of licenced arms were retained at the DC office.

Witness: Yes. I know.

Defence: Did you verify whether there was any arm in the name of Sallah uddin Quder Choudhury?

Witness: No, I did not.

Defence: Did you know whether any person was allowed to possess arm without having licence during Pakistan period?

Witness: I do not know.

Defence: There was no arm in possession of Sallahuddin Quder Choudhury in 1971.

Witness: It is unknown to me.

Defence: In 1971, Sallahuddin Quder Chudhury killed Prafulla with his gun. This word is false and baseless.

Witness: This is not my word; I have heard it from the Natun Chandra Singh.

Defence: Did you gone to Kundeshwry to give thanks to Prafulla after liberation war.

Witness: It is not true.

Defence: You had to go Good hills that time.

Witness: It is not true.

Defence: You met with Fazlul Quder Chowdhury when he was the then education ministry.

Witness: Yes.

Defence: Did you give him blessings of God?

Witness: No.

Defence: When did you meet with Gopal Dash?

Witness: In 1972 and after that.

Defence: How long distance it was from the house of Gopal dash to Kundeswari School?

Witness: I did not ask him.

Defence: Did Gopal dash also go to India along with Prafulla.

Witness: He went to India but whether with Prafulla or not, I do not know.

Defence: Prafulla went to India leaving his entire property at Rawjaan, did you ask him who was looking after his property?

Witness: No, I do not.

Defence: Did you know Pakistan military used to live at Good Hills?

Witness: No, I do not know.

Defence: Sallahuddin Quder Chowdhury was not the member of any party in 1971.

Witness: I do not know.

Defence: In 1971, Fazlul Quder Chowdhury did not play any role in support of the Pakistani Army.

Witness: It is not true.

Defence: Who was the Dr. Saleh Uddin?

Witness: In 1971, he was the student of Economics Department at Chittagong University.

Defence: Natun Chandre Singh was not killed at 13th April 1971 rather he was killed on 7th April by the Pakistan Army.

Witness: It is not true. I have heard about 13th April.

Defence: Prafulla Chandra intentionally for any special reason changed his father’s date of death.

Witness: It is not true.

Defence: On 7th April 1971, Fazlul Quder Chowdhury and his family was attacked by the Pakistan Army under the Good hills and his driver Ahmed Ali was killed and the car was vendalised.

Witness: I do not know.

Defence: Natun Chandra was a close friend of Fazlul Quder Chowdhury.

Witness: Whether they had good relation or not, I do not know but he used to go at Chowdhury House.

Defence: How far was it from the house of Gahira to Kundeswary House?

Witness: I do not know.

Defence: Salah uddin Quder Chowdhury used to call Mr. Natun as Kaka (uncle)

Witness: I do not know.

Defence: There was no bad relation between these two families.

Witness: I do not know.

Defence: Did you know on 5th April 1971, Fazlul Quader Chowdhury sent people and informed Natun Chandra to go at Chowdhury’s native village?

Witness: I do not know.

Defence: Did you know Kundeswary owshadaloi (medicine corner) was established during the Pakistan Perion and Fazlul Quader Chowdhury helped Natun chanra for the establishment of the Kundeswary owshadaloi (medicine corner).

Witness: It is true that, it was established during the Pakistan period but I do not know whether FQchy helped him or not.

Defence: Where did Mr. Saleh Uddin live?

Witness: I do not know.

Defence: It is not true that he was tortured at good hills.

Witness: It is true.

Defence: He was elected at senator of the Chittagong University.

Witness: Yes, most probably in 1983.

Defence: You are also a senate member then.

Witness: Yes.

Defence: Did you ask him whether he filed any case after the liberation war?

Witness: So I far I know, he did not do it.

Defence: Did you suggest him to file a case?

Witness: No, I did not.

Defence: Did you ask him whether he filed any dairy in any police station of Bangladesh?

Witness: No.

Defence: In which date the senate meeting was hold?

Witness: I can not remember.

Defence: In Natun Chandra house there was building in all sides only middle part is vacate
Witness: Yes.

Defence: From the middle part of the house the Mandir can easily be seen if the door is open.

Witness: Yes, it can easily be seen.

Defence: Who was the priest of the Mandir then?

Witness: I do not know

Defence: How many members would work there?

Witness: I can not say the exact number but many people were working there.

Defence: In which party were you involved when you were a student of Dhaka University?

Witness: I was not involved in any party but I supported Student Union.

Defence: What was your post in Ghatok Dalal Nirmul Committee?

Witness: I was a member of this committee.

Defence: Did you file any allegation against the Salauddin Quder Choudhury) on Gano-adalat of Ghatok Dalal Nirmul Committee.

Witness: This was formed only for Ghulam Azam.

Defence: When did Pakistan Army occupy the Chittagong University?

Witness: After 9th April they occupied the Chittagong University.

Defence: Did you know whether anyone was killed at the Chittagong University Campus by the Pakistan Army?

Witness: No, I have heard that many persons was died at Chittagong college Campus.

Defence: When did Pakistan Army enter into the Hathazari?

Witness: From 25th March to 10th April they did not enter.

Defence: When did Pakistan Army come towards the Chittagong from the Rangamati?

Witness: After 9th April.





No comments:

Post a Comment